1. ONE Great Person, even Egoquim, Creator and Ruler over all in heaven and earth.
2. Him shalt thou have and no other God, nor Lord, nor idol, nor man, nor angel, to worship, forever!
3. Him shalt thou love above all things in heaven above, or on the earth, or in the waters of the earth!
4. And thou shalt teach him to thy children, and command them to teach Him to their children, and so on forever!
5. And thou shalt swear against all other Gods, and Lords, and idols, to serve them not forever! And the same to thy children, and to their children after them, forever!
6. And this is the first Egoquim law.
7. And thou shalt deal unto all men, and women and children, as justly and as kindly as to thine own mother, out of whose breast thou wert fed when thou wert helpless and of no strength.
8. Teaching this to thy children, and to their children after them, forever.
9. And this is the second Egoquim law.
10. And to the sick and helpless; to the stranger and the man that cometh afar; to the widow who is destitute; to the child that hath no father; thou shalt be both father and mother to them; and take them into thy house and feed them; and give them skins and cloth to wear; and if they be lost, thou shalt go with them and show them the way.
11. Commanding these things unto thy children, and to their children after them, forever!
12. And this is the third Egoquim law.
13. And thou shalt not tell lies; nor speak falsely against any man, nor woman, nor child; nor break thy word of promise, even though death come upon thee to induce thee otherwise. Unchangeable as the setting and rising sun shall be the word of thy mouth!
14. And thou shalt command this to thy children, and to their children after them, forever!
15. And this is the fourth Egoquim law.
16. And thou shalt not take and possess that which is another's; nor suffer thy children to do so, nor their children after them, forever.
17. Which is the fifth Egoquim law.
18. And thou shalt respect the times of woman; and when she is bearing unto thee, thou shalt not lie with her; nor give her heavy labor, nor angry words, nor fret her; but be obedient to her, doing whatsoever she asketh p. 368 thee to do, for it is her time, and she is thy queen.
19. Teaching this to thy young men and to thy young women, and to theirs that come after them, forever; for their young are begotten of Me, and I will have them shapely, and strong, and brave!
20. Which is the sixth Egoquim law.
21. Thou shalt labor six days, but on the seventh day it is the moon's day, and thou shalt not labor, nor hunt, nor fish, but go to the altar of thy Creator and dance and sing before Me; and sit in silence to hear My words, which I speak into the souls of men, and of women and children.
22. Teaching this to thy children, and to their children that come after them, forever.
23. Which is the seventh Egoquim law.
24. Thou shalt restore the rites and ceremonies of and on the part I swear thee which thou shalt not restore; which is: Thou shalt not flatten the head to make a seer, a Haonga, to drive the judgment of the brain away to the prophetic regions.
25. Teaching these things to thy children, and to their children after them, forever!
26. Which is the eighth Egoquim law.
27. Then rose up Eawahtah, Son of Egoquim, saying: I am Thy servant! Lead Thou me, for I am going in Thy name, even to the end of the world!
28. When thus spake Eawahtah, Son of the Great Spirit, a Light came over him, dazzling, brilliant, lighting the way, showing him the way.
29. And so great was the spirit on Eawahtah, that when he came to the river, he rose up like an angel, sailed over and landed safely on the other side.
30. Neither knew he whither he was going; knew not the places of the scattered, destroyed peoples.
31. And the angels of Egoquim went before him; went into the forests and valleys, calling to the souls of the suffering, starving, dying, saying to them in their despair:
32. Egoquim, the Mighty, is coming! His Son! Behold Him! He holdeth the keys of Yaton'te, the heavenly hunting ground. Come forth from your hiding! Come forth, O My beloved! It is your Heavenly Father calling.
33. And the women heard! The little children, with sore, bleeding feet! The proud, brave men gave ear! They said: Why do we fight? Why do we destroy? It was a wicked God! He called himself the Savior,--the wicked monster, I'tura!
34. Then came Eawahtah; came first to the kingdom of Took-shein, and to his queen, Che-guh, in the land Anagoomahaha, the flat-heads. Told them all the words of the Great Spirit, Egoquim.
35. Then spake Took-shein, saying: To me the Great Spirit hath spoken; told me all the words thou hast. I know all thou hast said is true. Then spake Che-guh, saying: To me spake Gitchee, the Great Spirit. True are all thy words, O Eawahtah. By thee will all the scattered tribes be gathered together. Many tribes will there be of the red man; Egoquim will be the centre, the Mighty Spirit!
36. Then spake Eawahtah, saying to his good host and hostess: Your place shall be the centre; from your place I will shoot out around about, always returning, bringing in followers.
37. Whilst they thus talked, a Light came above them. Look, said Took-shein: It is the hand of Egoquim! Look, said Che-guh: It is the Voice of Gitchee! Then spake Eawahtah, seeing more clearly, raised up expressly: It is a ship of fire coming down from heaven! I hear the voices of the angel of Egoquim, the Mighty!
38. Then Eawahtah went and stood betwixt Took-shein and Che-guh, holding their hands, so the Voice of Egoquim could speak plainly; so he could hear.
39. Then spake Egoquim, saying, speaking out of the ship of fire:
40. Yea, My beloved! I am with you! Behold, My worlds are wide and many. When My back is turned, evil Gods come to steal My children; tell them lies to win them; tell them they are My Sons come to save them!
41. Hard is the fate of those that worship one God only; but they are Mine. I look around at times; I set the evil Gods flying. Be of strong heart, O My beloved! Many races will come and go on these lands. But the red man shall possess it: inhabit it far and near. Then shall come another evil God *, to flay and destroy My sons and daughters, to cover all the lands over with pure blood. Then will I come again and rout the evil God, raise up My sons and daughters, full of glory.
42. From far over the water will I bring their kindred (Jews), who worship none born of woman; a wise speaking people. A people that war not; who kill not off weaker nations. I will come in the Mohawk (Tenonachi), and the Mohegan (Hoochiquis); My hand shall reach around the earth p. 369 in that day. I will chase away all Gods and Saviors born of woman. Only the Great Spirit shall all men worship.
43. Go forth, My son; build wide My foundation; in this land will I found My earthly kingdom.
44. Then upward rose the ship of heaven; and Eawahtah buckled on his traveling slippers; bade good-by to Took-shein; filled his pockets with the bread of Che-guh; kissed her hand good-by, and started.
45. For many years traveled Eawahtah, over all the regions of Guatama; teaching, gathering together, swearing the people ever after to be firm to the Great Spirit: made them swear solemn oaths that never more would they listen to any God save the Creator; made them swear they would never be caught by another cunning Savior, like I'tura, whose people delight in war.
Plate 15. TOOK-SHEIN.
Plate 16. CHE-GUH.
46. Into villages gathered Eawahtah the frightened tribes, and taught them writing and engraving; taught them the secret name of the Great Spirit, Egoquim; and explained to them the moon, how to keep the seventh day for worship.
47. The Creator saw the great work of Eawahtah; saw the people gathered together in tens of thousands of places. Then spake the Creator to Eawahtah, saying:
48. Forty mighty nations shalt thou found, O My son; and every nation shall be an independent nation; but all the nations shall be united into a brotherhood of nations, as ONE mighty people, and that one shall be called O-pah-E-go-quim, signifying ONE. For when I come in kosmon, My people shall have many states, like unto thine, and their combination shall be called UNION, signifying ONE. Build thou a model for them, O Eawahtah. For, though when they come they shall overthrow thy people in the earth, the angels of thy holy ones shall come and purge them of their Savior, and make them clean in My sight.
49. Then Eawahtah made the nations; united them into one mighty people, and called them the nations of Opahegoquim. And they planted the country over with corn-fields, and dwelt in peace.
END OF EAWAHTAH'S HISTORY.
368:* Christ is called an evil God by the Indians
Next: God's First Book: Chapter XXVIII